Question for membership

Sarah Hutt

Hello All

We need to decide if we are opening up again this summer.  I would really appreciate some feedback on the following.  If you have another idea please let me know.

  • Is it time to start up the Monday Night Cleanup and Social Hour?
  • Do we want to try it on a different night?
  • If we set up to do small projects on the weekends would anyone be interested or would you rather they are just posted?
  • Should we open up only on the weekends?  someone would need to open the gates and close them
  • Should we open evenings only - 4 till sunset?  someone would need to open the gates and close them
  • Do we want to open mornings by 7 and close at sunset? someone would need to open the gates and close them

I would really appreciate your thoughts and any ideas you might have about this.
Thank you
Sarah
C105

Elizabeth ANDERSON

Hi Sarah,

I miss the visitors. They enjoy the garden so much and I feel safer knowing they are walking through with eyes open or sitting in the public areas during the times when few other gardeners are around. Plus it seems unfriendly to the neighbors to lock them out. When they can come in and enjoy the garden, maybe they think of it as a neighborhood treasure, which it is! I wonder also if more donations are made when more people experience the garden.

I’m for being open from morning till evening, like we were before. I’d be willing to help out with closing the garden as I’m there till sunset usually once or twice a week.

Elizabeth A164

On Jul 7, 2021, at 14:53, Sarah Hutt via groups.io <sarahhutt@...> wrote:

[...]

Ted Pietras

I agree with Elizabeth. We’re a neighborhood resource & green space which brings joy to folks as they walk thru & view & smell our roses 🌹
Ted

--
Ted Pietras

Senior Vice President, Sales

Gibson Sotheby's International Realty

554 Tremont Street

Boston, MA 02118

Mobile: 617.549.2078

Office: 857.362.1840

http://tedpietras.com

David Herman

First of all, thank you Sarah for asking these questions and soliciting our feedback. Your leadership in our community is so appreciated!

I agree with what’s been said so far: our garden is a treasure and people in the neighborhood are missing out on being able to walk through and appreciate the respite. We have a garden in the C row that lines the street, and a woman recently expressed sadness that our doors still remain locked.

I’m for opening the gates back up.

That being said, I know we’ve had vandalism recently. If we open back up, we have to do so knowing that something else could happen. If it does, we can reevaluate then.  But for now, I’m in the camp of opening back up.

What does everyone else think? I’m open to hearing all thoughts and considering the best course. Just wanted to give my two cents.

Dave

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 7:45 PM Ted Pietras <tedp@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi David
Members have expressed concern about opening due to the recent increase in infection due to the virus variations and reluctance of some to get vaccinated.

You are correct the major vandalism happens at night but the property damage was during the day when few gardeners are working in the garden..  People were coming in and digging up newly planted flowers and stealing ripe foods.  One of the A Row gardens actually had their fence cut so someone could reach in and remove food.  But mostly they just reach over the fences and took whatever they could reach.

Still, lets see what people think,
Thanks,
Sarah

On Jul 7, 2021, at 8:06 PM, David Herman <djherm@...> wrote:

[...]

Sarah Nichols

Hi Sarah,

I think the Monday night events + social hour could start again! It's a nice way to see folks. Monday nights are typically good for me, although I could probably make most week nights work. I also think setting up small groups to do projects over the weekend could work—It's motivating to know others will be there to participate with you. I think that is a better way to get stuff done than just posting jobs via email; but maybe that's just my style of working.

I think opening the gates at 7am and closing at sunset works fine by me. My plot is near the front gate, and often when I'm there on the weekends, many people stop to ask me if they can come in.

Finally, do we plan on requiring work hours from people this year? What is the situation on that?

I appreciate all your leadership and planning in the garden!

Sarah

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:34 PM Sarah Hutt via groups.io <sarahhutt=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

702.756.2980

Monika M

Hi Everybody,

I too am in favor of opening the garden. This is how we found out about it, when we first walked through it and talked to the gardeners about signing up for a plot. And there are a lot of people, especially families with kids, enjoying the gardens as they walk by. Social+work nights sound motivating indeed and it's nice to see everyone then. While the virus hasn't gone away, at least we are outside and in an uncrowded space (and presumably at least mostly vaccinated).

Regards,
Monika, B127

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 8:56 AM Sarah Nichols <sarah.dawn.nichols@...> wrote:
[...]

Betsy Feldmann

I too think the community should be welcome in the garden but understand the risks it brings. It has seemed somewhat elitist that we lock the doors behind us when we enter.

Monday night clean ups seem like a good way to start.

Betsy

On Jul 8, 2021, at 9:32 AM, Monika M <monika824@...> wrote:

[...]

Ann Pitt

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for reaching out!

I think it would be good to have the garden open again, and for the full day if it's possible. It seems reasonable to give it a try, as we could always revert back to how it is now if there are major issues. I too miss its feeling like a space for the broader community.

Many thanks!
Ann

[...]

Andrea Wolley

I’m available for weekend projects and can also assist with opening/closing the gates as I live across the street.  Let’s try Monday nights and see if the turnout is worth it.
Thanks
Andrea