The E. Berkeley fence history

Sarah Hutt

Some of you have asked about the E Berkeley fence along the C Row.  It was installed in 2008.  Below are some pictures of the garden before it was installed.  As you can see the chainlink fence was only about 4’ tall so we had a lot of vandalism problems.  You can still see, in some of the long term plots, that they have been built up to protect produce from people getting into their gardens.
Prior to the new fence the Common space along the fence was outside the garden.  With this opportunity we moved the new fence out to the garden property line to bring the space into the garden so it could be utilized as Common Space.  As you can see the trees that grew along the sidewalk had gotten out of control so were removed.