Boston Gardeners' Gazette Jan. 2020

Sarah Hutt

Boston Gardeners' Gazette

2019 Highlights in the Community Gardens

As we reflect on the past year in the community gardens, we are once again filled with awe and gratitude for the amazing work you all do. The whole Boston Community Gardens team sends heartfelt thanks to the gardeners, coordinators, volunteers, and partners who share their time and talents to build a greener, kinder city. Check out a sampling of our highlights from 2019, and let’s get ready for even more learning, growth, and good times in 2020! Scroll down for events including the Gathering.

Photo credit: Sofia Perez, sofiaperezphoto.com

Gardeners across the city used their plots and skills to grow a healthful harvest for themselves, their families, and communities.

Flower

Photo credit: Sofia Perez

Our gardens engaged more than 16,000 people in programs and events led by Michelle and Peter in collaboration with gardeners, partners, and volunteers. The JP and South End Garden Tours, youth-led climate change programs, newly piloted garden dinners, and the Urban Ag Fair in Roxbury were a few of the season’s highlights.

Flower

A variety of corporate and student volunteer groups joined us in the gardens, helping us to complete more projects and routine maintenance. These groups included Alkermes, BC High, Breckenridge Capital, Ernst & Young, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Norfolk Agricultural High School and TD Bank. These hard-working groups screened and spread compost, maintained fence lines, weeded, and both resurfaced and installed stone dust pathways.

Flower

Skill-building programs including fall and winter Master Urban Gardener courses and more than 30 Seed Sow & Grow workshops empowered gardeners from Boston and beyond to grow—and pickle!--their own food. New BCG team member Annabel Rabiyah used her educational and outreach skills to help us welcome even more people to these programs.

Flower

Jeremy and Jordan helped you all keep the gardens looking tip-top with routine tree and shrub pruning, water service maintenance, mowing, litter and green waste management, weeding, watering, perennial border care, and winter cleanup.

Flower

Jeremy and Jordan made several significant garden improvements including new plantings, bulletin boards and signage, sheds and water service repairs. After water service repairs, a brick patio at Warren Clarendon was elevated with proper drainage and relayed.

Flower

We said goodbye to Stewardship Manager Jeremy Dick in July after nearly 20 years of dedicated service to the community gardens. We’re grateful that Jeremy is still with the Trustees, though he is sorely missed in the gardens!

Flower

City Natives Nursery has grown to include over 200 native species of trees, shrubs, vines, and perennials. Our sustainably grown natives and annuals raised money to support city-wide garden operations.

Flower

Photo credit: Sofia Perez

Artists brought creative programming—from murals to arts & activism dinners to youth songwriting workshops—to our gardens through the Community Grown partnership with the Mayor’s Office of New Urban Mechanics and TD Bank. Photo credit: https://sofiaperezphoto.com/.

Flower

More than 150 gardeners at the two workplace community gardens we run in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield worked in teams to learn new skills and raise more than 4000 pounds of fresh produce for themselves and their communities.

Flower

Our Mobile Market brought subsidized fresh, organic produce from Trustees’ farms to seven locations in Boston and Cambridge at subsidized prices. Sales, many of which used SNAP/EBT and HIP benefits or WIC coupons, more than doubled over last year!

Flower

More than 100 of you became members at our programs and events, directly supporting operations and programming in the community gardens.

Flower

We’re gearing up for the 2020 gardening season with winter workshops and the 45th Annual Gardeners’ Gathering. Join us!

45th Annual Gardeners’ Gathering
March 21 | 10AM-5PM
FREE & Open to all
Northeastern University: Shillman Hall (115 Forsyth St.) & The Egan Center
A free celebration of urban gardening, full of informative workshops and engaging exhibitors, featuring guest speakers Mayor Walsh and Rev. Mariama White-Hammond.
Please share the Facebook event.

Garden Planning
Wednesday, February 12 | 6-7:30PM
Trustees Boston Office | 200 High Street, Boston
Learn to make the most of garden space and time through methods like succession & interplanting, vertical growing, and season extension.

Start Your Own Seeds
Wednesday, March 4 | 6-7:30PM
Trustees Boston Office | 200 High Street, Boston
Learn the best methods & materials for successfully starting your garden veggies at home.

Tree & Shrub Pruning
Saturday, March 7 | 10AM-12PM
Minton Stable Community Garden | 110 Williams Street, Jamaica Plain
Come learn the basics of
dormant-season pruning and get some hands-on experience.

Happy New Year!

Trustees
Facebook social icon
Twitter social icon
Instagram social icon
Pinterest social icon
200 High Street, 4th floor, Boston, MA 02110 | tel: 978.921.1944
Trustees © 2020 All rights reserved.