Trustees Boston Gardeners' Gazette July 2019

Sarah Hutt

Hi all
Just passing along Trustees newsletter for July

please take care this weekend
Extreme Heat Expected Friday 7/19 through Sunday 7/21.

Begin forwarded message:

Boston Gardeners' Gazette

A Message from Vidya Tikku, General Manager

VidyaAs I prepare for Jeremy's transition to his new role within the Trustees, I know that, like all of you, I will miss him greatly. He has been an inspiration to me, leading by example. His vision for our gardens, love for the gardeners and volunteers, and passion for urban growing and horticulture are unmatched. Jeremy's hard work, expertise, and love has touched us all. His quick thinking, dry wit, and determination to do it right, topped by his willingness to share his time and hear everyone out, has led us through some interesting conversations, but always to the right and most effective solutions. His work has contributed to the City's community gardens for nearly two decades and they are better for it.

Please join me and our staff team in thanking Jeremy and celebrating his many contributions to Boston's community gardens. We will hold a farewell party for him on behalf of the Boston community gardens staff and the gardeners on July 18th at the Mission Hill community garden from 4pm to 7pm. Please send your RSVP to me at
vtikku@... or on 617.542.7696 ext. 2113.

It’s a tough act to follow! Please help us find our next Stewardship Manager by sharing the job posting:
https://lnkd.in/eJGq5Sk

I look forward to seeing you on the 18th!

JeremyJeremyJeremy

Farewell

– Jeremy Dick, Stewardship Manager

JeremyFeeling a great range of emotions, I am writing to let you know that I will be moving on from my role as Stewardship Manager for the Boston Community Gardens. I have accepted a similar position with The Trustees and will begin managing four properties located in North Andover and Burlington in mid-July. This is an exciting opportunity for me to broaden my professional experience, collaborate with new staff and communities, grow as an individual, and be closer to my family in Wakefield.

Though deeply saddened to leave my work and relationships in Boston, I feel relieved knowing the gardens remain in your capable hands. Over nearly 19 years in this network, I have consistently been awe struck at the level of commitment, care, passion, and love you all exhibit for your gardens, community, and friends. I am deeply grateful that I had this time to share with you and will miss you all.

Midsummer Garden Tips

– Michelle de Lima, Engagement Manager

MichelleJuly can be a tough but rewarding month in the garden! Crops are starting to come in, but so are lots of weeds. Here are some tips to keep on top of it all:

  • If space is opening up as you harvest spring-planted crops, you can still fit some more goodies in the garden: head lettuce, fall kale and chard, late cucumbers, carrots, and beets are just a few ideas. Make sure to keep seeds and transplants well-watered.
  • Weeds really get going in July, so be sure to pull them before they go to seed. If you see them flowering, it’s time to pull! A thick layer of leaf or straw mulch can keep weeding and watering to a minimum.
  • Morning watering is best. Try to water roots rather than leaves and only do so if the soil is dry below the surface.
  • If plants are starting to slow down or turn yellow, an application of diluted fish emulsion and/or compost tea on a cloudy day could help.

The Jamaica Plain Garden Tour is Around the Corner!
The Second Annual Jamaica Plain Garden Tour is a unique opportunity to peek into beautiful private gardens in the Pondside neighborhood of JP. The tour, which is a major fundraiser for the Trustees’ network of 56 community gardens in Boston, showcases sites ranging from lovingly-tended DIY gardens to expansive professionally designed landscapes. Join us on July 20 as a tour-goer or volunteer! Either way, you’ll be supporting fresh food access, green space, and community building in Boston. Volunteers receive a free ticket for being a host in one of the gardens for 2.5 hours.
 TIME CHANGE DUE TO WEATHER: 8am-12pm

JP Garden Tour

Thank You!

– Peter Bowne, Engagement Manager for South End & Lower Roxbury

PeterThanks to everyone who made this year’s South End Garden Tour an enormous success! Generous garden owners welcomed a record crowd to their back yards. Roof deck gardens were back this year and were definite crowd pleasers for everyone who ventured to the top of Chester Square and Wellington Street. Community Music Center faculty performed mini-concerts in the gardens during the Tour. Thanks also to al the volunteers welcomed visitors into the gardens. We were fortunate to feature several Trustees properties with the Worcester Community Garden and Wellington Green highlighting the different types of properties we steward in the neighborhood.

Come scout for next year’s tour! We’ll be peeking over fences in and around Chester Square, Worcester Square and Black stone & Franklins Squares during July. Contact
pbowne@... to join us.

SEGT
Photo credit: Mark Gardner

Upcoming Events

Jeremy’s Farewell Party
Thursday, July 18 | 4-7PM
Mission Hill Community Garden | 750 Parker Street, Mission Hill
RSVP to
vtikku@...

Jamaica Plain Garden Tour
Saturday, July 20 |
8AM-12PM
J.P. Licks | 659 Centre Street, JP

Garden Mixology
Thursday, July 25 | 6-8PM
Windermere Community Garden | 9A Windermere Road, Dorchester

Wild Edibles
Wednesday, July 31 | 6:30-7:30PM
Berkeley Community Garden | 500 Tremont Street, South End

Progress Report

Gardens: please send your volunteers hours so we can give you credit for your hard work!

Volunteer Progress Report

Trustees
Facebook social icon
Twitter social icon
Instagram social icon
Pinterest social icon
200 High Street, 4th floor, Boston, MA 02110 | tel: 978.921.1944
Trustees © 2019 All rights reserved.