Garden schedule for June and other reminders

Just a reminder - no dogs allowed in the garden common spaces.

We need a decision to be made about opening up the garden gates - currently they are being left open during the day on weekends.  If anyone has any thoughts about leaving them open or closed please let me know.  The gates should always be closed by sunset for the safety of the garden and neighborhood.

Last year Erin C104 donated a dozen Clematis perennial vines to the garden which were planted along the C Row - they are starting to bloom -  thank you to all who joined in to plant them last year.  They are really beautiful.

Tomorrow June 17th is  Monday Night Cleanup and Social Hour - weather permitting - we will be pulling weeds, trimming plants that have gone through our C Row fence onto E. Berkeley Street, marking off areas where new plants need to be watered - and picking up trash.  If you have anything on your mind and want to talk to someone on Leadership stop by.  If you have the City Yard Refuse bags you can but all the weeds and other plant cuttings in the bags and out in front of your home for trash pickup.  DO NOT leave in front of the garden

This Saturday, June 22  We will hold our 2nd workshop of the season How to Prune bushes and trees in your garden plot and around the garden with Michelle deLima of theTrustees. Experts will be available to answer questions about best time to trim rose bushes, hydrangea, laurels, lilac and any other plants growing in or around your garden.  Please remember nothing is suppose to be over 6’ tall in your garden.  Sign up now and they will visit your plot to answer any questions you might have about your garden as well as pruning questions.

DON'T FORGET
MAYOR'S GARDEN CONTEST is coming up — we have had a few gardeners who have received recognition for their beautiful gardens - John + Tim C172 + C173  and Erin C104 are all Contest Hall of Fame Gardeners.  YOU COULD BE TOO
• Entry deadline: Wednesday, July 10 (applications close at 11:59 p.m.)
The annual event is a citywide celebration of urban gardening  The Garden Contest was launched as part of a citywide beautification initiative. https://www.boston.gov/departments/parks-and-recreation/mayors-garden-contest
application: https://www.boston.gov/departments/parks-and-recreation/mayors-garden-contest/2019-mayors-garden-contest
CONTEST TIMELINE
• Entry deadline: Wednesday, July 10 (applications close at 11:59 p.m.)
• Finalist notification: Thursday, July 18
• Judges visit gardens: Week of July 22
• Awards ceremony: Mid-August
FIRST PLACE WINNERS IN THE GARDEN CATEGORIES WILL RECEIVE:
• the "Golden Trowel" award from Mayor Walsh, and
• prize packages from the Parks Department and other sponsors at an awards ceremony in August in the Public Garden. (gift certificates to area garden stores and other event sponsors, tools, and other gardener gifts)
GARDEN CONTEST HALL OF FAME
Mayor Walsh will recognize Garden Contest Hall of Fame inductees at the awards ceremony. To be eligible for the Hall of Fame, a gardener must have won three or more times.

If you are doing work on your own Remember to Log Your Community Time everyone is required to do 12 hours of work per year - that’s one hour a month:  cleanups@...
 include: name, plot number, number of hours, description of task, and picture if you have it.

Thank you
QUESTIONS??????????  info@...