Trustee news and Saturday workshop reminder

Sarah Hutt

Reminder to all
The Trustees Summer Pruning workshop at Berkeley
Saturday, June 22 | 10-11:30AM
Please come - bring your tools, gloves, garbage  bags for cuttings
We will visit your garden plot or areas common areas around the garden to answer specific questions you may have about how to trim vines, bushes, or trees.

Boston Gardeners' Gazette

A Message from Vidya Tikku, General Manager

VidyaThe Trustees Mobile Farmers Market -- part of our Boston food-access program -- began its third season this May. The Mobile Market brings fresh, organic vegetables, fruit, meat, eggs, cheese, milk and other farm products to Boston neighborhoods. Most of our customers use food stamps, which means they are automatically enrolled in Massachusetts Healthy Incentives Program (HIP). Through HIP, our customers can earn an extra $40 to $80 per month to spend at farmers markets.

In 2018, its second season, the Mobile Market grew exponentially. We reached several times more customers than we did the year before, and our sales quadrupled. We hope to continue that growth in 2019. This year, we began operations a month earlier than we did last year. In addition, we've added more weekly stops, and the range of fruits and vegetables available to our customers will be more diverse than ever before.

The Trustees Mobile Farmers Market season runs through December 2019. To find our schedule and more information about us,
click here.

gg-jun19-1.jpg

The South End Garden Tour is just around the corner!

– Peter Bowne, Engagement Manager for South End & Lower Roxbury

PeterPlease join us on Saturday, June 15th for this annual neighborhood exploration through the alleys of the South End to private gardens open on the day of the Tour only! Running from 10 AM - 4 PM and starting at the South End branch of the Boston Public Library, this year’s tour concentrates on the area from Rutland Square to Northampton Street between the Southwest Corridor Park and Tremont Street. In addition to the private back yard gardens, this year there are two amazing roof deck gardens. Wear your comfy shoes and get ready to climb some stairs! Tickets are $24/$28 (member/nonmember) in advance and $28/$35 on the day of the Tour.

Save money and buy your tickets online in advance at
thetrustees.org/SEGT. Volunteer for two hours and receive a free ticket! For more info: Peter at 617.869.6720 or pbowne@...

gg-jun19-2.jpg
Photo credit: Carl Kraenzel

Garden Tips: What to Plant Now

– Michelle de Lima, Engagement Manager

MichelleDid you get a slow start in the garden, or still have spaces to fill? It's not too late! Some of the tasty crops you still have time to get in the ground are:

  • Seeding: cucumbers, winter squash, summer squash, zucchini, melons, basil, lettuce mix, carrots, beets, radishes, cilantro, dill
  • Transplanting: tomatoes (look for ones with 80 or fewer days to maturity), sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, squashes and cucumbers, annual and perennial herbs

Beyond planting, June is a great time to stay on top of other garden tasks:

  • Regular morning watering of new seeds and seedlings
  • Occasional fertilizing of demanding crops like tomatoes and peppers
  • Weeding—get them while they’re small!
  • Trellising tomatoes, cucumbers, and other vining crops
  • Make sure to mulch! It will keep your soil healthy, moist, and weed-free

gg-jun19-3.jpg

Stewardship Updates

– Jeremy Dick, Stewardship Manager

JeremyMay is a busy month for the stewardship team, full of routine maintenance like mowing and perennial border care, leading volunteer projects, and plant sales. Group volunteer projects this month included Levi Strauss at Nightingale Community Garden, Breckinridge Capital at Worcester Community Garden, and two days with Norfolk Aggie high school students, part of larger internship program with a number of Trustees properties. We also worked with individual volunteers on greenhouse work and property maintenance at City Natives.

Plant sales this spring were incredibly successful due to more open retail hours, better outreach, and a big effort to organize and label all stock. Throughout May, we increased our plant sale revenue by more than 50%, and all those funds directly support our community garden operations. Many thanks to all who made it out to the nursery.

gg-jun19-4.jpggg-jun19-5.jpg

gg-jun19-6.jpg

Blue Cross Workplace Community Gardens

– Annabel Rabiyah, Blue Cross Garden Coordinator and BCG Program Assistant

AnnabellI’ve been working as a grower and educator in Boston for the last 5 years, and you might also find me hosting restaurant events throughout the city through Awafi Boston. I’m excited to support community gardeners at Blue Cross Blue Shield offices in Quincy and Hingham this season and to continue working in my Boston community to coordinate and lead programming in the gardens.

gg-jun19-7.jpgAt this point the Blue Cross gardens are almost fully planted, with greens, tomatoes, peppers, squash and more. We are experimenting with different cucumber trellis designs and brought in some native perennial berry plants--which hopefully will feed gardeners, and not just the birds! Along the Hingham garden's fence, we planted some native honeysuckle, which will hopefully creep up and cover the back wall of the garden.

This rainy season was a challenge for Quincy gardeners, whose plots are right along the Neponset marshlands and have been drowning in the nonstop spring rains. Inspired by local no-till farmers working in wetter soils, we decided to dig trenches and make semi-permanent raised beds in the plots. The water collects in the furrows, which were covered with wood chips, and the beds were piled high enough to stay try. So far, the results have been really impressive!

Upcoming Events

Build Healthy Soil & Compost
Saturday, June 8 | 11AM-12:30PM
Lenox & Kendall Community Garden | Tremont Street, Roxbury

South End Garden Tour
Saturday, June 15 | 10AM-4PM
South End Branch of the Boston Public Library

Summer Solstice Celebration
Friday, June 21 | 6-9PM
Leland Cooperative Herb Garden | 4 Leland Street, JP

Summer Pruning
Saturday, June 22 | 10-11:30AM
Berkeley Community Garden | 500 Tremont Street, South End

Know Your Weeds
Sunday, June 23 | 11AM-12:30PM
Minton Stable Community Garden | 100 Williams Street, JP

Wild Plant Medicine
Wednesday, July 10 | 6-7:30PM
Kittredge Green | 1 Linwood Street, Roxbury

Jamaica Plain Garden Tour
Saturday, July 20 | 9AM-2PM
J.P. Licks | 659 Centre Street, JP

Progress Report

Thanks so much to all who are supporting the gardens through Trustees membership! We hope you get out and enjoy some great properties and programs this summer!

gg-jun19-8.jpg

Trustees
Facebook social icon
Twitter social icon
Instagram social icon
Pinterest social icon
200 High Street, 4th floor, Boston, MA 02110 | tel: 978.921.1944
Trustees © 2019 All rights reserved.