Public Service announcement on West Nile Virus and mosquitoes

Sarah Hutt

Dear Gardeners

Berkeley Garden has been selected as one of the area sites to study mosquitoes for West Nile Virus.

A graduate student from Princeton University will begin testing in our garden around September 9.  They will be using CDC light trap, hung from trees with a light that attracts mosquitoes. The traps will be using bait with low levels of carbon dioxide (similar to breath) and a blend of compounds found in human or bird odor. Because this type of mosquito is nocturnal, traps will be set at dusk, they will be left overnight, and then collected in the early morning and the mosquitoes preserve.

In the meantime we can all protect the garden and neighborhood by removing stagnate water which attracts mosquitoes.  If you have buckets of water in your garden cover them.

For more information check out the Boston Public Health page        < https://tinyurl.com/yd6njav5>

Thank  you
Questions + Suggestions:  info@...